Monday, June 1, 2009

Ride for Jim 2009 Begins


Yesterday Larry and I flew in to Portland where we met his relatives Kirk & Beverly at the airport. They graciously transported us to The Bike Gallery in Lake Oswego (just outside of Portland) to pick up our bikes, and then made us a wonderful steak dinner. Their oldest daughter Kirby made a delicious strawberry pie, as well, from fresh strawberries picked that day. They have been wonderful hosts and are housing Larry and I again tonight. They allowed us to keep the BOB trailers at their house today so we were able to ride without BOBs, but will begin riding with them up tomorrow. It was a nice way to begin the ride, and we were able to ride the entire 95 miles to Portland because of this.
This morning K & B drove us to Seaside, OR, to view the mighty Pacific Ocean before our trek. It was a gorgeous beach, although the weather was relatively cold (low 60s) - biking in that weather is ideal, though, so no complaints from this end. After a brief visit on the beach and some picture time, we headed to Astoria for the official trip departure. We managed to find a boat landing in the Columbia River from which we could dunk our tires in the water and begin the trek east on Route 30, which we followed the entire way to Portland today.
The weather started off cloudy and cool in Astoria, and as we crossed the coastal mountain range the cloud cover departed and the weather heated up to a high of 86. We had good (and gorgeous) tree coverage for the first 15 miles through the coastal mountains, and the road gradients were cyclist-friend. After crossing the coastals, the riding was as flat as Eastern Maryland (shout out to the Perdues and the Salisbury Century) so we kept a stronger pace than anticipated and made it about 50 miles to Ranier, OR, for lunch. There was a climb up to Ranier, but we were rewarded with a nice descent into this picturesque town with Mount St. Helens in the backdrop. Hamburgers, a homemade strawberry shake for Larry, and a Brownie Sundae for me made the perfect lunch - and the quaint outdoor dining.
The riding was hot but extremely flat for the rest of the journey after Ranier. We stopped in St. Helens (70 miles from Astoria) at The Bike Shop to see if I could have my bike computer fixed because it is brand new but was not working after I installed it last night. Unfortunately the shop was closed so Larry and I rested for a minute to contemplate the appropriate plan of action for the computer. Within a few minutes, though, a red car arrives from which a woman emerges and unlocked the door to the shop. I walked in, told her my problem, and she called another guy (Paul) who came over in about 5 minutes. He couldn't get it to work so he suggested I check Walgreens (down the street) to make sure that the battery wasn't the problem. I did this, and unfortunately the new battery did nothing. As I was fiddling with it, he pulls up and asks "is it working?" and I replied "unfortunately no", so he generously offered me one as a "sponsorship". We then went back to the shop and Paul installed it on my bike - all at no cost to me - so I let him my computer. He may try to have the company replace it. This was such a positive way to start the trip and I am eternally grateful to him for that gift.
Speaking of gifts, upon our return to Portland, we left our bikes at Kirk's posh downtown office and were treated to a delicious chicken and pasta w/pesto dinner, followed by ice cream with berries. All-in-all, this was a wonderful way to begin the trek.

- Charley Nottingham

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Charlie (and Larry)!!!
I will try to reach you soon. I'm calling media near and around Lyle, WA and Umatilla, OR. Hope to get some feedback soon. I'm working hard to set something up for you in Kamiah, ID on your day of rest. Stay strong - we're so excited for you and hope to chat with you soon!
Kimberly Land, 757-746-4749