Sunday, June 14, 2009

Update from Lander, Wyoming

Finally there is some wireless Internet in Wyoming that actually works! We've been in some pretty rural country and although Lander and Dubois both have public libraries they've been closed when we were around. This post is again from my iPod touch:

June 12, 95 miles from West Yellowstone, MT, to Colter Bay, WY

We paid the $12 cyclist fee to enter both Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, and I was glad that the bastion of ecology and conservation takes Visa. The first half of the ride was very pretty as we saw a bald eagle and several herds of bison within a stone's throw. It made me think of the movie Dances with Wolves, and I decided that my Native American name for the day was Bicycles with Bison.
We had lunch at Old Faithful and the weather turned cold (mid 50s) and cloudy. Shortly after leaving from lunch it began to rain and did so for a little over 2 hours. I was actually glad for the mountain passes as we rode along the continental divide (at elevations over 8000 feet) because the work of climbing was the only thing keeping me somewhat warm. I didn't lose the numbness in my feet until showering that night. We did stop in Grant's Village for a bit and that helped, until we left and I saw that my rear tire was flat. The rain had stopped but it was still very cold.
The ride ended well in Grand Teton after the sun came out and there was some pretty scenery following the Madison River. Also, there was construction on the road so we had to ride in the back of a truck for a 2-mile stretch. Larry loved it because it was 2 miles of climbing but I kindof feel like it was cheating. For the record, it still counts.

It's late and we're heading to Jeffrey City tomorrow early to beat the impending thunderstorms so I'll fill in more later from the past two days. We'll rest in Rawlins, WY, where there is a public library for picture posting, on Wednesday, although I may be able to do so Tuesday if we get there early enough.

3 comments:

Jim (skydog) Palmieri said...

Charlie...the last trip across the USA, the 3 of us were harassed throughout the day by the Dubois town Police...we were so intimidated that we pulled out of town at 3am just to evacuate! The Tetons are my favorite single place in this Great USA. Stay healthy. Jim Palmieri

Kipper Nottingham said...

Charley and Larry: Grandma GeeGee sends her best. Also heard from Dr. Spetzler who's envious of you both - especially where you're traveling right now (aren't we all???) Dad

Unknown said...

I remember riding along (and floating) the Madison when I was in Montana. It is beautiful. Oh, and for the record, Virginia City is way cooler than Nevada City.