Thursday, July 17, 2008

Blog from July 17, 2008



This posting is being written on July 17, 2008 from Newton, KS to catch up from the past couple of days when internet was not available for various reasons.

 

July 15, 2008

 

I cycled 65 miles to Rush Center, KS where it was 96 F when I arrived. I have no idea where the "Rush" came from for the name of this town.  On July 4th we camped in the town called Encampment which in earlier years was known as Grand Encampment.  Somewhere along the way, for what would be obvious reasons if you ever found yourself in that town, it is now known simply as "Encampment".  I  similar surgery could be done to shorten Rush Center to simply "Center".  On our way to Center we passed through Bazine where the main attraction was the Oil Rig Cafe.  There we found Bea Ribbletts twin sister waiting table.  I took a picture to prove it.  Next door was Elaine's B&B exclusively for cyclists so we stopped and chatted with Elaine for a bit. I was tempted to bring her 10 week old Golden Retriever puppy along as a surprise for Nancy but he would not fit in my bag. 

 

When we arrived in "Center" the only highlight I can remember was the 8 oz hamburger at the local watering hole.  We camped in a 4-H park next to the highway.  In the middle of the night it sounded like someone was unloading cattle next to our tent but I was too tired to investigate or care. 

 

July 16, 2008

 

We had a picnic b-fast that Philip fixed with his camp stove:  oatmeal, boiled eggs and tea.  He is quite the chef with the limited material he has to work with.  He also is a real drill sargent when it comes to breaking down the camp.  I can barely get out of the tent before he is stuffing it in the duffel. 

 

Rode 90 miles to Nickerson, KS.  Just before Nickerson I met a TransAm fellow heading west who had started in Yorktown about the same day we started from Astoria, OR.  Daniel, from New Zealand, was  traveling alone and had saved for seven years to make this trip.  He was around 28 - 32 in age.  We exchanged information about our experiences and I told him about our effort to promote funding for cancer research and he gave me $10 for our fund.  Thank you Daniel for your help.  

 

Nickerson has a great grocery which I immediately invaded.  Watermellons were in abundance but there were no slices.  When I explained that I could not use a whole mellon they offered to cut one for me.  It was very sweet and seedless.  I stood on the sidewalk eating it like a caveman.... probably the best mellon I have ever eaten.  Most of the food on the trip could be described as the best I have every eaten.  The combination of fresh air and burning so many calories really hightens the senses I guess. 

 

Nickerson does have library with a VERY particular librarian.   The time limit on the compter per user is 30 minutes,  and it does not matter if someone else is waiting to use it or not.   That woman must have been the character that Miss Buzzy was based on way back in "Laugh In" days, for those of you young enough to remember.  That is the reason no blog was posted yesterday.

 

A fellow cyclist, Jay,  came in the library while we were there.  He is currently a student at Va. Tech...  the second Tech student I have met on this trip.   He is also traveling alone and trying to do the trip on $10.  per day.

 

The Sunshine Cafe in Nickerson served up a good old down home special of meatloaf and homemade bread.   Also, once again we lucked out with rubarb pie, this one Edna was just taking from the oven when we had cleaned our plates.   One of the best we have had.

 

July 17, 2008

 

Today was a short 56 mile ride to Newton, KS.  Along the way in Buhler I met a nice middle age couple from The Netherlands heading west.  They left in early June and will fly home Sept. 12 from Oregon.  Newton has a population of 17,000 so we are using it as a stop to get clean and reorganize.   My heart almost stopped when I walked into the lobby of the Days Inn, it was so cold.   This is our first motel since Pueblo.   The adjacent truck stop has a laundry so all of our cloths are now clean.    We're looking for the perfect steak place next.  Seeing all the cattle munching away out on the planes has me pretty psyched for a steak.  

 

I was somewhat spooked about Kansas before getting here because it is so long, windy, with the possibility of stormes, and driving across Kansas can be rather boring.   I know, I have done it.  But on a bicycle on the secondary roads and stopping in the small towns it is competely different.   Philip says it is like looking at a DVD disc and thinking you have seen  the movie rather than actully putting it in the player and seeing what is inside.  The people here are the most friendly we have met.   Sometimes even motorcyclist  will wave to me.    That is a rareity.  We are enjoying Kansas. 

 

That's it for now.  More later. 

 

 

No comments: