Friday, July 25, 2008

Blog from July 25, 2008



Posting from Chester, Illinois on July 25, 2008

 

 

July 43, 2008   Rode 61 miles to Summersville, MO

 

This was basically a day of putting miles and lots of hills behind me.  By mid-day I had reached Houston, MO.   Some of the ride was in relatively light rain on roads that were not the best for biking. 

 

This bike 76 route was established in 1976, the year of the bicentenial.  It was called the BikeCentenial.  I am certain that 32 years ago the traffic on this route was much less intense.  Also, we notice that many of the small towns that we pass through have nearly disappeared or have lost most of their past glory.  So some of the stopping places where food was available in 1976 are no longer there.  It causes me to wonder what this ride will be like in the coming years.  If you are interested in learning more about this route and other similar routes that are mapped around the country, Google "Adventure Cycling".  That is the organization behind the planning.  Their headquarters are in Missoula, Montana, which we visited during our stay there. 

 

Back to the ride:  We decided to stay at the Green Roof Inn, a pleasant Mom and Pop kind of motel, cheap, clean with a good down home restaurant across the street.  Also a laundry next door so clean cloths again.  What a treat. 

 

That evening I had the house special of roast beef, mashed potatos on bread all smothered in rich gravy.   I notice on this ride that I am never famished, even after a long day's ride, but when food is presented I can eat everything in sight.  In fact I never really feel hungry while I am riding.   Also, only the good food looks or sounds good for the most part.  Fast food has no appeal. 

 

July 23, 2008      Rode 73 miles to Lesterville, MO

 

This day was riding through the main part of the Ozark Mts, although I actully rode in them for most of 5 days,   VERY steep grades and not much of a view after reaching the top, only another series of hills.  I had been told by many that the Ozarks are the hardest part of the ride.  So far, I think I agree.  We had a huge buffet lunch at, where else,  the HILL Cafe in Ellington.   There was a hardware in town where I finally found a metric size nut for one of the bolts on my fender.  I had been looking for one for the past month.  The Parks Bluff Campground on the Black River greeted us at the end of the day.  Philip made instant mashed potatoes - a serving for 4.  I ate most of it with hot cocoa since Philip was still full from lunch.  Sorry about all these detail about food but other than climbing endless hills, that is about all there is to talk about.

 

July 24, 2008     Rode 93 miles to Chester, IL

 

More hills, lots of hills for 82 more miles.  Farmington was reached by mid-day where it started to rain.  Philip was at the library in town and checking the radar weather.  It looked like there was a huge storm north of us.  Luckily most of it seemed to stay north and I waited for most of it to pass, doing, what else, eating at the local Chinese cafe, soup and an egg roll.  Finally after 82 miles I reached the flood plain for the Mississippi and could see the bridge over the river in the distance.   Riding over this old bridge on a bicycle is pretty scary since one can see all of the crumbling cement with rusting rebar sticking out and many pot holes.  This bridge could be the next one to make headlines.  There was no place for cyclist to ride except in on the  roadway.  Fortunately there was a kind driver behind me who put on his fourway blinker and followed me across.   Overall, the drivers all along the way have been very considerate and this was a prime example.  Chester is famous as the home of Popeye, actually the home of Elzie Segar, his creator.   

 

It feels good to have Missouri in my mirror and 2800 miles behind me. 

 

 

1 comment:

Clarice said...

Wow, Jack and Philip, You were in Chester, IL on Friday. Here it is Monday already and we are anxious to see where the last few days have taken you. The mountains of Virginia are not too far (compaired to where you have been) ahead of you. Stay safe and know that we are thinking of you and keeping you both in our prayers.