Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fwd: Blog update

July 25, 2008


Goreville, IL     Rode 80 miles

Leaving Chester IL I rode along the levi road which goes along a levi separating the Mississippi from rich farmland.  Mid-morning I ran into a support van from The Black Bear Bicycle Tours company.   They were providing support for a group of about 60 cyclist raising funds for a conservation effort.  They  asked if I needed anything so I made use of the tire pump.  Seems like tire pressure is constantly on my mind.  Further along the way they had a snack stop set up where there were 30 or more cyclist who were interested in where I was going to and from.   I told them about my friend Jim, the fund I had set up, and gave them all sticky notes with the web site.  They were all quite encouraging about this effort.  

That night we camped at Ferne Clyffe State Park just outside Goreville.  In the night a pretty significant thunderstorm passed through with lots of rain.  The good news is that the tent does not leak.  The bad news is that after the storm Philip heard rustling of paper and when he got up to investigate found that a racoon had found the beef jerky I had stored in my pannier on the bike.  I know, I know,   It was a boneheaded thing to do.  You donn't have to tell me.  Philip has made that abundantly clear already.   They should provide big steel boxes for me to store my goodies in like they do in Yellowstone. 


No comments: