Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 7 Day 59 from Vesuvius, VA


August 7, 2008  Rode 66 miles to Vesuvius, VA

Today I rode through Buchanan and Lexington along railroad tracks and streams so the terrain was pleasingly - well not flat but flatter.  What WAS flat was my back tire after a stop to admire a 1740s era house.  This time the new tube held air and the new tire pump Philip bought me did the job without a single "horse collar."  It was the back tire which always means grease all over one's hands after getting the chain disentangled from the cassett.  Jack's helpful household hint:  If the cyclist has forgotten to bring hand de-greaser along, Suntan Lotion SP30! works just fine.  Coat your hands with lotion, then using the saved Subway Sandwich napkins, wipe your hands clean.  Finally, just as I thought I was out of dog territory, I was chased by two pit bulls.  The owner was outside and called them back- and they listened.  I threw him a bit "Thank you."  Tonight we camp in Vesuvius behind Gerti's general store, and tomorrow climb 4  miles up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway.

No comments: