Monday, August 4, 2008

Blog for Aug 1, 2008


August 1, 2008      Buckhorn, KY    Rode 78 miles

 

I always enjoy the riding in the early morning and riding out of Berea was one of the best.  There was a nice morning dew rising from the fields,  the route was through beautiful country lanes with no traffic, and even some stone fences bordered the road so it had the feel or riding in the Cotswalds of England.   Boonville was a pleasant stopping place for lunch at the Dooley Diner (get the potato soup if you are ever there) then on to Buckhorn, KY.  There we camped at the Buckhorn Lake Dam Campground run by the Corp of Engineers.  For a town with a population of only 144 it turned out to be a great stop.  

 

Each state seems to have its own unique aspects, one which in Kentucky is dogs.  All along the way fellow travelers heading west talked about all the dogs that trouble cyclists.  In the western part of KY this was not much of a problem although I acquired pepper spray to have handy just in case.  As I moved east in the state, the number of dogs increased very much with varying degrees of ferocity.  There has been a pit bull and a german shepard which the owners tried to call back with NO effects,  many little scruffy yappy dogs, one pac of 5 dogs that were on the road running TOWARD me as I approached, and a golden retriever in the middle of the road that leaned around and mustered the strength to offer one WOOOOF  as I passed.  I have tried to use the pepper stray only once and it went wildly off target but the dog stopped and it made me feel very much in control.   So I have the spray can hooked to my handle bar bag which has all of my valuables in it and that I carry wherever I go.   Slowly I realized that having my bag with a can of pepper spray fastened to it has resulted in amazingly great service in the restaurants, in fact since having the spray with me, not a since waitress has barked at me and service has been amazing.   It has to be the spray because when I enter, looking like a race horse that has been "rode hard and put away wet"  I don't look like I'm going to be a heavy

tipper.  

 

The other unique aspect of Kentucky is trying to follow the ^%$#@* map!!  There is an unbelieveable number of changes in route and twists and turns to get across this state.  For example the directions coming into Berea:   "Continue on CR 1355.  After bridge over the Middle Fork River (there was no sign) turn left uphill onto Jack Turner Rd. a single lane road.  Turn right onto unsigned SR 563 Jess Ray Rd.   At "T" turn left onto unsigned SR 39.  Turn right onto CR 1131.  At "T" turn right  to stay on SR 1131 and etc.      Often there are no towns for miles and several times I have flagged down motorist to ask which road I am on.  My greatest fear is flying down some wonderful downhill only to realize that I was  daydreaming and missed the turn onto unsigned SR 39 after crossing the unnamed Middle Fork creek.  All of the folks I have stopped have been extremely helpful and and eager to help.   Surprisingly I have not had to backtrack yet.   Hope my luck holds out for a few more days.   

No comments: