Thursday, August 7, 2008

Blog for Aug 5 and 6

August 5, 2008   Rode 63 miles to Fort Chiswell, Virginia

 

Much of the ride today was parallel with I 81.  Some of the areas were in the back country with beautiful views of farms in the valley, but there was nothing too exciting happening.  I had hoped to post a blog update at the library in Wytheville but the computers there would allow me to read my messages but not send. 

 

I am pretty happy with the weather I have encountered.  The temps during the days have been in the mid to high 80's and mostly clear with some scattered clouds to provide welcome shade.  For August in Virginia I could not hope for anything better. 

 

That night we chose to stay in a motel and Nancy did laundry - ahhhh, clean cloths. 

 

 

August 6, 2008     Rode 91 miles   to Daleville, Virginia (just east of Roanoke, VA)

 

Up early and on the road for a long ride.  The route took me through Radford and Christiansburg, two places we have not seen before.  In C-burg I met a cyclist , Andy, heading west from Yorktown, VA.  He must be the last rider heading out.  Andy's story was that he has quit his job, sold everything and is spending the next six months cycling across the country to Astoria, Oregon and then along the Pacific coast to San Diego.   So if some of you reading this think I am crazy, there are some cyclists out there with an even worse affliction. 

 

Another Subway sandwich for lunch fueled me for the long hills and curves that lasted all the way to Daleville.   Several times along the way I stopped to make sure I had not missed a turn.  One helpful group included a fellow on the back of a pickup with a coondog.  They assured me that Route One Hundred was in fact different from Old Route One Hundred which I was still looking for.  In the afternoon a helpful Verizon repairman again assured me that I had not missed a turn. 

 

We spent the night at the Howard Johnson and had a great Mexican meal at a local restaurant.   We are getting close to home!


1 comment:

Clarice said...

I'm sorry that Philip had to leave but am so glad to hear that Nancy made it alright and is with you. Really glad to hear that you are in Virginia. Prayers are being answered. Can you tell us what route you will be taking as you near Richmond? Just be safe and hope to see you soon. Oh, that was great - no "horse collars" for your tire. Take care you two.